A Meditation on Psalm 130

BlackCalvinist/ November 6, 2006/ Edification and Growth/ 0 comments

Psalm 130
Out of the depths I cry to you, O LORD! O Lord, hear my voice!
Let your ears be attentive to the voice of my pleas for mercyIf you, O LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness, that you may be feared.

I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchmen for the morning.

O Israel, hope in the LORD! For with the LORD there is steadfast love,
and with him is plentiful redemption. And he will redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

Life indeed can be painful at times. I was telling my pastor last night – I believe that probably 40% of my life is LEGITIMATE suffering. The other 60% – the result of bad decisions. I might actually be generous my amount in the matter.
Calvin once stated the heart is a perpeptual ‘idol factory’. We either make ‘Gods’ of our own liking, or we put things in the place of God which should not be there. Husbands, wives, children, relationships, jobs, our books, our knowledge, our THINGS…..

The Lord’s been using a few situations in my life as of late to point out my nice little idol collection that I’ve stored up. I’d like to think that in the midst of crying out as the Psalmist does, he realizes that some of his problems here were brought about by his own sin (hence the reference in verse 3).
In speaking of God’s providence, William Cowper (pronounce ‘Cooper’) once compared it to a flower: “The Bud May Have a Bitter Taste, but sweet will be the flower.” and a storm – “Behind a frowning providence, He hides a smiling face.”

All this to say – Pain (and John Piper, forgive me if I’m plagiarizing you, but your words are kinda stuck in my head but in the wrong order) is God’s merciful way of getting our attention. Something’s wrong, something’s wrong, something’s wrong. And it presents a wonderful opportunity to turn back to God contrite and broken. To humble ourselves before Him and seek Him – both in repentance for those things that we have done which are wrong as well as the things which we have done that we didn’t realize we were doing which were wrong.

Don’t focus and wallow in your own pain and self-pity. Instead, turn to Him and ask Him to heal your broken spirit.

This day, I pray that God will use my pain to become a blessing to another and point them to the Savior.

65You have dealt well with your servant,
O LORD, according to your word.
66Teach me good judgment and knowledge,
for I believe in your commandments.
67Before I was afflicted I went astray,
but now I keep your word.
68You are good and do good;
teach me your statutes.
69The insolent smear me with lies,
but with my whole heart I keep your precepts;
70their heart is unfeeling like fat,
but I delight in your law.
71It is good for me that I was afflicted,
that I might learn your statutes.
72The law of your mouth is better to me
than thousands of gold and silver pieces.
(Psalm 119:65-72)

Soli Deo Gloria,
Kerry

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>
*
*